Please help us provide crucial support for the Upper Valley families who need it most.
Join our Social Networks
Families Learning Together is a research-based parenting and life skills program designed to help young mothers and fathers address barriers to self-sufficiency so they are better able to care for themselves and their children. The program provides young parents with a host of supports to help them reach their goals. These supports include:
• Education to help finish high school or attend college or training programs.
• Worksites and seminars to help develop and enhance job readiness skills.
• Parenting, wellness, and life skills classes to improve their ability to care for themselves and their children.
• Access to counseling, crisis support, and case management to address emotional and environmental barriers to self-sufficiency and effective parenting.
• On-site childcare, transportation, breakfast, and noon meal to remove barriers to participation.
• Opportunities to interact with other young parents to help them learn to build a supportive network of friends.
Most of the Families Learning Together participants have financial hardships and many of them have been victims of trauma. All of them are working to create better futures for themselves and their children.
In November, 2012, The Family Place was approved by the Vermont Board of Education as an Other Educational Program. This means participants enrolled in classes here can earn credit toward their high school diploma from partnering area high schools. In 2015, Families Learning Together achieved re-accreditation by the Agency of Education.
This year, the program will start on August 27, 2019 and continue (with Holiday break) until June 12, 2020. Families Learning Together takes place 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday and 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m on Friday. It includes a nutritious lunch, daycare for infants and toddlers, as well as transportation. Attending Families Learning Together will provide 20 hours of countable activity for participants enrolled in the Vermont Reach Up program.
We invite you to view the program brochure. We use rolling admission, allowing participants to join the program throughout the year. For more information about this program, please call Helene at 802.649.3268 or 800.639.0039.
319 US Rte 5 South
Norwich, Vermont 05055
52 Olcott Drive
Wilder, Vermont 05055
*Playgroups meet at the Olcott House